Chicken & Seafood Paella
Prep 10 mins; Cook time 50 mins; Total time 1 hour; Serves: 8
Paella is a classic Spanish rice dish and it’s widely regarded as Spain’s national dish.
This recipe is by no means authentic, this is just our version of paella. We recommend using a Paella pan because it has a wider surface and the secret of paella is cooking everything evenly in a single layer and as it cooks the rice gets toasty and crispy at the bottom and that’s what you want in a good paella.
2 tbsp olive oil
4 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless cut into 1 inch pieces
2 chorizo sausages, cut into 1 inch pieces (I used Italian sausages)
1 large onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1½ cups Paella rice
1 can (14 oz or 398 mL) diced fire roasted tomatoes
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 tbsp hot sauce such as Tabasco or Sriracha
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp saffron
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb large shrimp, shelled and deveined but keep tails on
1 lb clams, scrubbed and soaked
1 lb mussels, scrubbed and soaked
fresh parsley for garnish
1 lemon cut into lemon wedges
1. In a large paella pan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and sausage, season with salt and pepper, then cook for about 5 minutes until the chicken is no longer pink.
2. Move the chicken and sausage to one side of the pan, then add the onion to the other half, season with a bit of salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes until the onion becomes translucent and soft. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
3. Add the rice and tomatoes to the pan and stir well. Let the rice cook in the sauce from the tomatoes for about 5 minutes, you will notice it will start to brown on the bottom, which is what you’re looking for. Add the broth, hot sauce, smoked paprika, saffron and season with salt and pepper if needed. Stir everything together and cover with a large lid. Cook for about 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice. The rice will not be cooked through at this time.
4. Turn down the heat and stir the rice around a bit, you will notice the crust on the bottom of the pan, that’s what you’re looking for. Arrange the shrimp, mussels and clams over the rice, cover with a lid again and cook for another 10 minutes or until the mussels and clams open up.
5. Turn off the heat and garnish with parsley and lemon wedges.